Today I learned how to take a YouTube video, upload it to my Google Drive and then use the embed code to put it on another site. Why would I need to do this? Well, unfortunately YouTube and other video sharing sites are blocked by many schools. This way, no matter where I'm located when trying to show a video, I won't have to worry about it being blocked.
Steps for the WorkAround
1. Locate the video
2. Copy URL for the video
3. Paste URL into KeepVid (save to your desktop) http://keepvid.com/
4. Open your Google Drive
5. Click on New
6. Select File upload
7. Select the video from your desktop
8. Click on upload
9. After video has uploaded into your Google Drive, open it.
10. Make sure you click on the pop-out arrow along the top right (next to the X) to open all the video in a new window.
11. Click on the More actions along top (three vertical dots)
12. Click on embed item
13. Highlight the HTML code, and copy it
14. Open site where you want to embed the video
15. Paste the embed code there
16. Viola! You now have the video that will play from Google Drive viewer and will not be blocked